1. Snow Day Donuts...a simple tradition and all it requires is oil, refrigerator biscuits, and powdered sugar(frosting and sprinkles if you would like too). Heat oil, stretch out dough, put a hole in the middle with your thumbs, place dough in hot oil, approx. 30 seconds, remove from oil, place on paper towel lined plate and dip into powdered sugar or frost and sprinkle. Easy and the kids LOVE it!!!
2. Build a Fire...in our old home we did it outside...ahhh hot chocolate and smores around a fire while playing in the snow outside can't be beat in my book except by building a fire in your fireplace and doing the same thing in the warm indoors after playing outside building forts, snowmen, angels and I have been known to start a snowball fight or 2(ok I always start them). Our new family favorite is to gather around the fire and I read the children a story..right now we are reading Willawaw, yes I gave up on reading Oliver Twist it made my brain hurt.
3. Painting....I love to paint and so I always have paper(you can get end rolls from a local print shop and usually for free) and paint available in our art/science room.
4. Window Art....my kids love to be able to draw all over the windows and lets be honest I know I don't wash them enough anyway, this is the perfect time. We use Crayola Window Markers and they work fabulously!!!
5. Popcorn...pop some up and snuggle with your kiddos and watch a movie. Turn the phone off, computer, and snuggle with your kids. They LOVE it!!!
6. Balloon Projects...decorate them with a crazy face(use permanent marker), make them into a rocket(tape a straw to the top of the balloon, blow up balloon and hold air in, cut a long piece of string, thread through the straw, have 2 people hold each end of the string or tie it to something and let go..weeee , blow them up in an unexpected way(vinegar in a pop bottles add baking soda, put balloon over top to seal it up and see what happens), or bat them around with PAPER PLATES.
7. Paper Plate Crafts...you can go online and search paper plate crafts and I tell you, it is a bit overwhelming. There are a ton of fabulous ideas out there and all you need are paper plates best $2.00 you will spend!!!
8. Picnic...throw a blanket on the floor and eat your lunch...it is so simple but so memorable and no table to wash off just pick up the blanket and throw it in the washer!!!
9. Games...our family loves games and remember that fire I was talking about this where we play our games on snow days right in front of the fire...some of our families current favorites are...BANG!, Apples to Apples, Settlers of Catan Jr, and Uno Roboto!!!
10. Play..just play with them with the toys they have, be on the floor and play! I am guilty, I don't do this enough but when I do this is when we have our best talks and bonding moments.